Enabling SAE L3-L5 Autonomy with Sensor Fusion: Approaches and Challenges
Vehicles with autonomous capabilities are already here. But the holy grail of L3 and higher autonomy is still elusive. The development and adoption of all kinds of sensors – radar, camera, ultrasonic and LiDAR – is happening at a rate never seen before. However, it is a well-known fact that the different type of sensors used in vehicles today lack capabilities to independently enable L3 to L5 automation in the industry.
Sensor fusion is touted to be one key development that would enable higher levels of autonomy in future vehicles. But developing sensor fusion solutions for various levels of autonomy requires very different approaches. And then there are practical challenges that need to be addressed. This white paper compares the capabilities of various sensors, provides an approach to enable L3 and higher autonomy using sensor fusion and practical challenges that would need to be addressed to realize full potential of sensor fusion.
Some of the key topics covered include:
- Various sensors suited for SAE level 3 and above autonomy
- Technical comparison of camera, radar, lidar and ultrasonic sensors for various factors such as their performance in corner cases, cost, processing power requirement and more
- Multi sensor selection for common ADAS and autonomous driving applications
- Approaches to sensor fusion for various levels of autonomy
- Illustrative fusion algorithm pipeline for few applications
- Practical challenges in developing sensor fusion solutions
Download whitepaper now to understand sensor fusion for SAE level 3 above autonomy